Wednesday 22 July 2009

Hmmm... Dungeon Design Considerations

I was thinking about doing a simple long-term project, and my idea is this - create a large dungeon for use with Basic Fantasy, draw the maps with Microsoft Paint using a square-type background and just add to it room by room as I go along during lunch breaks and what have you. I could use the generator tools on the Basic Fantasy website (http://www.basicfantasy.org/). Build and build until I have a huge dungeon covering player levels 1 to 10, and then stick it all in a PDF and give it out. If it gets good feedback, then adapt it for other systems using the same format, see where it goes from there. I was thinking about doing the Island Tomb from my Stormland SKETCH game setting at http://www.farsightgames.com/. That's huge!

Could I last? Will I create something huge or will I just get bored by room 4 and think, 'Ah, screw this!'

4 comments:

  1. I suggest the One Page Dungeon format. You get the crunch and include only what you need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an excellent idea. At the very least I could put the floorplan on one page and the room details on the opposite in a small typeface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dungeoncrafter + the TSR blue tilesets are a godsend for mapping.

    Go for it Jonathon. All the most sagacious and attractive bloggers make their own megadungeons as journeyman pieces. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chris - I miss the old Games Workshop dungeon floorplan boxes - I had stacks of them, no idea what happened to them.

    ReplyDelete