Saturday 3 July 2010

EVE Online

Ah, crap.

Now don't get me wrong - EVE Online is a beautiful game. In fact, it's probably the perfect game for MMO players who want to zip around the cosmos doing things with a spaceship that geeks can only dream about.

The thing is, that's pretty much all you can do. I'm sure there's more to it than the few things I did in the short time I spent on the trial I downloaded, it's just that I want to play a game that draws me in with stuff to do. I never got that from EVE Online. You see, I want the same kind of experience I got from World of Warcraft and Warhammer Online - I want to be able to run around as a character and be able to relate to my avatar in some small way. I also want to be able to travel to other places in my own starship, actually climb into my vessel and take off and land and dock and leave planets under my own steam and not have to watch loading screens do it for me...

Yeah, this has turned into more of a wish list of what I want to see in a science fiction MMO rather than a critique of EVE. Honestly, EVE looks like a good game. For those of you who want something different from an MMO I'd recommend you check it out. It just wasn't for me and my rather definitive requirements.

1 comment: