Saturday 21 January 2012

Check this baby out

Spirit Games in Burton is top notch - the sheer amount of games new, old and obscure keeps me browsing for ages. In the middle of a whole load of AD&D and D&D 3.x stuff I found this tucked away:


It's the rules book from the boxed D&D game that TSR released in 1991. Just the rulebook, mind you, not the entire box. Which is a shame, because that would have been amazing. It's basically the rules from the Basic set all in one book so I now have a copy of the original rules that I miss so dearly, all for the bargain price of two English pounds. All that remains now is for me to win the Ebay auction for an original and complete redbox Basic D&D set and I'll be in hog heaven. That is, if hogs liked old roleplaying games.

4 comments:

  1. A friend of mine had the black box, and it was one of the only times I'd ever played D&D until recently. I recall it being quite a good set, with an odd GM screen that had loose inserts with all the rules on them, effectively giving you a second copy of the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I was once a proud owner of the Black Box! Now all that remain in my possession from that set are the book you show in the post, the DM screen with all the tabbed card reference sheets that slip into a pocket, and a lot of the old paper miniatures that came with the game! I've been using the paper minis for my C&C game that I run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a chance find and perfect if I'm looking to run a Basic D&D game, which I'm seriously considering at the moment. I'm well chuffed.

    On a sadder note, I didn't win that Ebay auction for the great condition redbox set. Bum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This set was my first introduction to the basic line (I started with 2E). The poster map of the dungeon is also nice, if you ever get a chance to look at it (though not very useful in play, as players can see the entire room layout).

    Word verification: befuct (seriously)

    ReplyDelete