Saturday 11 January 2014

Computer game strategy guides as sourcebooks

Thanks to this excellent article over at Hobbynomicon, and their gracious comment about me that has managed to inflate my ego to the size of a large zeppelin, I thought I'd repost my brief blog regarding the use of CRPG strategy guides as sourcebooks. The Hobbynomicon goes into much better detail so I strongly suggest you check out their article.


I've picked up some very cheap strategy guides for computer games recently, namely 'Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning' and 'Dragon Age II', and even though I've played both games I never bought them for the help they'd give me.

What I got in the books were detailed maps, characters, weapon ideas, adventure and quest ideas, illustrations and a whole slew of new ideas. The books are like system-generic sourcebooks and, even though I won't be using them in the settings they were intended for, there are plenty of bits and bobs in there I can use for my current Pathfinder game.

Once games have been out for a long time and the strategy guides become pretty useless you can find them in all kinds of places - charity shops, second-hand bookshops, discount bookstores and the like. They might not be an accurate fit for your game but there's bound to be something in there that you can cannibalise. I think I'll be seeking out more cheap books like this in the future to help flesh out my home-made roleplaying campaign settings.



No comments:

Post a Comment