Tuesday 14 May 2013

Dev Diary - AFF science fiction: Phew!

When I agreed to write the science fiction version of the Advanced Fighting Fantasy game I knew it would be a lot of work, but I honestly didn't realise how much. I've been sidetracked somewhat as I complete other projects, but now they are pretty much out of the way I feel like I'm ready to dive back into the game again.

The rules are pretty much finished and I've finally decided on the way I want the psionic rules to work. I'm also not going to worry about the vehicle/starship rules as I'm using what has already been given to us in the gamebooks and any ironing out can be done during playtesting. I have a couople of systems in place that I can use so they'll get an airing.

I've had a few emails regarding playtesting groups, which is great, and what I'll do is get a playtest document together for the groups to use in their sessions. If you'd like to be part of that then drop me an email (you'll find it on the right hand sidebar of this page) but I'll only be sending a few copies out.

The setting, however...

I need to accept that no matter how much I'd like to do it, cramming all the sci-fi gamebook themes into one setting simply will not work. The best I can do is work on my full setting and add elements as I go. I've already managed to work in 'Starship Traveller', 'The Rings of Kether', 'Space Assassin', 'Freeway Fighter' and 'Robot Commando'. How did I get the basis of a gamebook featuring giant robots and dinosaurs into my setting? You'll have to wait and see. Still, the rules will be adaptable for any setting so the gamebooks can be used as sourcebooks, no problem. I still want to use all the monsters and meanies for the bestiary, but that remains to be seen.

Sadly, I have definitely had to let 'Appointment with F.E.A.R' drop by the wayside. The superhero setting doesn't mesh with science fiction setting I've designed so I've had to let it go. Sorry, F.E.A.R fans.

For such a simple game, there's a lot of work involved!

1 comment:

  1. Does this means that each setting is a different planet? I am implying that the main setting is Starship Traveller where they travel different planet hence the different setting.

    ReplyDelete