Thursday 10 December 2015

The Witcher TV Show (Wiedzmin)

I'm a great fan of the Witcher setting, especially the books, and my recent foray into Witcher 2 (not great), Witcher 3 (amazing!) and the Witcher boardgame (great fun!) has really got me back into it.

I was made aware of the Polish TV show from long ago, 'Wiedzmin', and although the production values are low and it plays fast and loose with the Witcher, it's not a bad show and I found it quite watchable - in fact, I ended up enjoying it.


What struck me was the soundtrack by Grzegorz Ciechowski - it's excellent. It took me ages to track down the music and there were four tracks that really stuck out at me, and these were the Dandelion songs, or 'Dandelion’s advices'. They're great songs, though short, and I've always wondered what he was singing about.

But I have contacts. ie, I work with a lady called Patrycja who not only isolated the lyris, she translated them for me... and the lyrics were better than I expected.

So, here they are, the four advices of Dandelion (Jaskra); Pierwsza rada Jaskra, Druga rada Jaskra, Trzecia rada Jaskra and Czwarta rada Jaskra.

First in English:

Dandelion’s 1st advice
Stay on your destiny's path,
which is the fight.
Your sword will not rust,
will glare from blood.
And one more right of yours,
It´s the surprise.
Whoever will object to it,
The sword will be destined for him.

Dandelion’s 2nd advice
And even though your heart burns,
She was not meant for you.
This is how fires of hearts end,
in an ocean of split-up. X3

Dandelion’s 3rd advice
This night you´ll see no stars,
it’s a glow above Cintra.
It will flame up and punish the world,
the world that will die.
Like a flock of black ravens,
enemies rush along.
You got away but your destiny,
still fulfil inside of yourself.

Dandelion’s 4th advice
You ask what did you do wrong,
You’re still asking questions.
You try to fool the destiny,
so you get the punishment.
Your fortune is already written,
You efforts are useless.
Like a thrown stone,
that wants to be a star on the sky.

And you are ashamed of yourself,
So what is this fight for ?
You can´t run away from love so,
surrender to it.

Now in Polish:

Pierwsza rada Jaskra:
Na szlaku przeznaczenia trwaj,
A jest nim walka.
Twój miecz nie pozna smaku rdzy,
Zalśni od krwi.
I jeszcze jedno prawo Twe,
To niespodzianka.
Ktokolwiek się sprzeciwi jej,
Przeznaczony mu miecz.

Druga rada Jaskra:
I chociaż płonie serce twe,
Ona Ci nie pisana.
Tak kończą się pożary serc,
Oceanem rozstania.

Trzecia rada Jaskra:
Tej nocy nie zobaczysz gwiazd,
To łuna nad Cintrą.
Zapłonie i ukarze świat,
Świat, który zginie.
Jak stado czarnych kruków gdzieś,
Pędzą wrogowie.
Uszedłeś ale losy Twe,
Dokonują się w Tobie.

Czwarta rada Jaskra:
Ty pytasz co zrobiłeś źle,
Wciąż zadajesz pytania.
Oszukać przeznaczenie chcesz,
I spotyka Cię kara.
Twój los już napisany jest,
Twe daremne starania.
Jak kamień co rzucony chce,
Gwiazdą w niebie się znaleźć.

I sam przed sobą wstydzisz się,
I po co ta walka.
Miłości nie uciekniesz więc,
Poddaj się jej.

No comments:

Post a Comment